Friday, March 30, 2012

Being Human

What we are experiencing is a result of being human

   The idea of "being human" is a concept I found very helpful while listening to a recorded interview with Eckhart Tolle in 2010. He was describing our experience as being the result of our existence, what a thought! As to say that in being human, we are experiencing what it means to be human- through our human senses. I heard what I needed to hear at that time, which was "This sadness I feel is not mine. Sadness is a  feeling I get because I am living in human form, but I am spirit. And to identify with sadness, or to identify with any delusion my humanness brings is a false identification of myself. I am not sadness, I am perfect love." So, instead of identifying with the sadness, I was able to identify with the value of what the sadness was bringing to my attention. Living through the senses is how we experience human life, and the senses are wonderful tools, but they are tools for a higher purpose. We can sense our feelings, our environment, our body, even the energies of others. No matter where we are physically, mentally, emotionally or spiritually, each of us knows what it means to be human because being human involves these sensations.

   I address this concept of being human because it helps me separate the illusion of my sensory experience from true reality. Through realizing myself as part of the collective whole, I can free myself to be my full potential. When I experience myself being only human, and not the true totality of divine spirit, I become absorbed with the delusion of physical reality as the only reality. For example, someone rear-ends another car and is at fault for the accident- that person has the ability to choose how to think and feel about their experience. One possible choice is to dwell on the sensory accident and the personal effects (injuries, complications, financial burdens, etc.). This choice can lead to destructive emotions that block the person from learning in this experience. To dwell on the past, or block learning in the moment, inhibits personal growth. Another choice is to think about the larger meaning of the accident, and how it has acted as an opportunity to learn and be challenged by an unfortunate situation. They could consider how the car accident was able to bring a new perspective.

   We are responsible for finding the lessons in each experience. It is a characteristic of all living things to move forward, grow, expand, and reproduce. To ignore these things is to go against our very nature. We have the choice to accept a higher purpose and evolve as creative spiritual beings having an earthly experience, or to miss the opportunity for growth by living only in the physical world. In appreciating each experience as a valuable learning opportunity to grow, I started to observe my life instead of getting caught up in the delusion of my senses. Living in gratitude for all life's experiences helps me create inner peace and strength to handle any situation.

   “Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness. How do you know this is the experience you need? Because this is the experience you are having at the moment.” 
 Eckhart Tolle